Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Respons

Q1:
If a DJ or some media worker made a negative reference to me or about my neighborhood, I’ll probably sue him/her according to the law. I lack of the skills of arguing or defending myself by words. Since he/her offended me and affected my personal image and social status, I might not take any revenge directly, but let the law speak out for me. (Laws that prohibit certain kind of offensive speech and comments) He/or her should suffer penalties both from the law and morality.

Even though in America, where people possess high level of freedom of speech, jocks should not make those types of slanderous comments without penalties. People who work in the field of media communication should be more cautious and sensitive about their comments, because it will be published or broadcast for the public and spread out. I don’t think that his penalty is enough because he refused to apologize on air the other day, which is really unacceptable. I think the station should apologize to the public immediately anyway.

Now I am in America and it is not news for me that some of the media often make negative reference to my country—China, which I could do nothing about it, but feel helpless and pathetic. Some of the critics are true and justified that I can have a more objective and impartial view of my country than ever before. Some reports and comments, however, are exaggerated and deliberately denigrated China’s image. For example, Chinese products, especially food and toys are often highlighted by the American media. The shame of unsafe food and toys are not merely for the manufacturers in China, but also the mother companies in the U.S. Human rights and other social problems cannot escape the eyes of western media. My point is that some of the media often get rid of the complex actual situation of a country, and avoid some of the facts according to their will and benefits both economically and politically. My goal as a media communicator is try my best to tell the truth and lead the public opinions in a correct way.

Q2 &3:
I don’t think that the student should be expelled. I am not clear about the rules and regulations about FCC and I’ve been looking on line for a long time, and, still can’t find the answer for it. Certain penalties such as warnings are acceptable, but I think that those students should not be expelled.
According to the official website of FCC (www.fcc.gov), The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent United States government agency, directly responsible to Congress. The FCC was established by the Communications Act of 1934 and is charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable. The FCC's jurisdiction covers the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. possessions.
However, the FCC has been criticized on many fronts, both for being too restrictive and too permissive in its regulation. In the actions taken against broadcasters, the FCC is frequently criticized for violating the First Amendment guarantee of Freedom of Speech, both directly by censorship and enforcement action sometimes alleged to be politically motivated, and indirectly by the general intimidation that FCC action allegedly creates, particularly with the U.S. Congress considering increasing fines exponentially.
I think that the FCC should do something to prevent events or programs like this to be on campus and avoid programs about drugs, violence and sex entering campus. I don’t think events and programming similar to this one should be on college radio. If it is allowed to be on campus, what is the difference between college and the complicated society? What is the guarantee of the holy educating atmosphere in college?

No comments: