Saturday, May 3, 2008

Question 1: Civic Journalism definitely needs to be practiced more in the US. According to the Pew Center for Civic Journalism their definition of Civic Journalism is: "Civic Journalism is both philosophy and a set of values supported by some evolving techniques to reflect both of these in your journalism. At it's heart is a belief that journalism has an obligation to public life- an obligation that goes beyond just telling the news or unloading lots of facts. The way we do our journalism affects the way public life. Journalism can help empower a community or it can help disable it." I believe that Civic Journalism helps the people in the communities we live in because the main purpose of Civic Journalism is to inform the people around us with what's going on where they live.


Question 2: I kinda do agree with the article in regard to what journalists stand for. I especially agree with this statement "They uphold the publics right to know, a spirit of openness and honestly in the conduct of public business, the free flow of information and ideas, along with truthfulness, accuracy, balance and fair play in the news." I feel like civic journalism is suppose to do exactly that. I think over time journalism in the United States has changed. Everything from news to the way it's reported has changed. As technology expands so does the way we report the news. It use to be where we turned on the news or read the paper to see what's going on in the world but, now today we can go online and read the news in our state and across the world. I think the journalist today need to stop focusing on news like Britney Spears having a break down and Miley Cyrus posing in a bed sheet for Vanity Fair and focus more on the war and other things that are happening around the US. When I want my entertainment news I will go to Perez Hilton, TMZ, or OhNoTheyDidnt.Livejournal.com but, I don't want to turn on the Fox 5 10pm news and have the main story be the controversy of Miley Cyrus being 15 years old and taking pictures topless and in a bed sheet. Recently I was watching the view and they had the actor Johnny Galecki (David from Rosanne, and currently on the show CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory) was asked about his opinion of Miley Cyrus he said "With all this talk I thought the war was over. We don't need to focus on this when there is a war going on." I couldn't agree with him more! Each day we have soldiers dying overseas but, the media won't cover it because it's too morbid. It's our duty as journalists to cover all the important news and I think that the war and how many soldiers die each day should be something they cover and not just a small beat in the New York Times each day.

Question 3: I agree with the article about what is journalism suppose to be. I probably have experienced community journalism and just didn't realize that's what it was called. I would defintely take place in a community journalism. I actually applied for a job that needs someone for community based journalism. I forgot the exact title but, I think it's interesting to see how different communities do things especially on Long Island because there are so many towns but, places like Queens it's harder to find a strong community. For example when I grew up and lived in Queens till I was in high school. In Middle Village and Fresh Meadows (the two parts I lived in) there was hardly any community involvement. The neighbors stayed to themselves and no one really knew anyone. But, when I moved to Malverne I found the community extreamly tight. Everyone seems to know everyone. When walking down the street people say hi, and the cops who know me say hi in the morning and when I'm out late at night on my block walking or just talking on the phone they make sure I'm safe and always are checking up. Even though I loved growing up in Queens the community in Long Island is a million times better.